Dateline September 18
(you may notice a few more words in this post as I am typing on my computer at home...)
After getting back to our campsite, we all had a reality check.
Mine was pretty bleak. I was equipped for summer mountain weather, but not extended wet weather. My tent is a one-person lightweight with not much vestibule. This is a one-season tent, and with a little addition of seam sealer, the inside will stay dry next time. I didn't bring a tarp for cooking or being outside the tent. I didn't bring gloves or pants for rain-riding. And the forecast for the remainder of Saturday and Sunday was more that summer showers. I had a big blind spot for the weather I could really expect at the beginning of fall at 6000'. I think I need to rewire that thinking.
Continuing the tour north and east around Crater Lake seemed like a miserable prospect. And why circumnavigate the park after circumnavigating the Rim?
Katie and John were also not wanting to sit in the tent for the rest of the day or overnight. They had another stop after the ride, and could go easily on Saturday pm as well as Sunday, the original plan. So they kindly drove me to Klamath Falls and my car, opposite direction to their goal, before decamping and proceeding to Western Oregon. Thanks John and Katie for your kindness.
 |
| Hail on the highway, 4 pm Saturday |
I had a lot to think about on the drive back. If you are remembering, I originally proposed a bike route from Eugene along state route 58, that I reconsidered and avoided due to the Cedar Creek fire that affected that road. I was now going to follow the reverse route and I could see what the route was like in reality, not just google street views.
Leaving Klamath Falls and heading north on US 97, I noticed the issue I had some concerns about in planning. The road has narrow shoulders along the lake and basically no shoulders when it wedges between the railroad tracks and the hills. That is a no-go and worth the extra 15 miles to avoid. Of course I wouldn't need to go this way if I biked in from Eugene.
Away from the Upper Klamath Lake, US 97 is one of those point A to B roads, straight through the wilderness. The trees are low and cleared far off the road. Lots of Forest Service and unmarked roads dive into the woods. I then finally got to Rt 58 and turned northwest.
Again, a straight shot from here to there for 12 miles. The road starts to follow the earth as it passes Crescent Lake and Odell Lake. It is getting dusky and starting to fog up a lot so I don't check out the campgrounds I was going to get water from. After the second lake the road starts downhill, 3000' in 20 miles. It meanders right and left, hard to see, and when there is a passing lane uphill there is no room for a shoulder. I finally descend to Oakridge, just past the Cedar Creek fire location, and the fire fighting community is evident. I gas up next to a fire truck. There are signs thanking the fire crews here and there. The campground I was going to stay at looked like mobile homes had invaded.
In all, the route is doable but doesn't look enjoyable or scenic. Maybe there is a better way to bike to the east.
Or maybe the train to Klamath Falls is the deal. There are two resorts halfway from Klamath Falls to the Mazama Campground. And from the campground to the start of the ride is only 4 (relatively flat) miles. And one could return the same way. Two days in, Ride the Rim, two days out. And maybe a hotel instead of the KOA???
I'm headed to my in-laws near Portland where a glass of wine, a scrabble game, and conversation await.
Thanks for reading. I may post a few pages of tricks and tips, I'll send one more read-me email when/if that happens.
John
Comments
Post a Comment